NEIGHBORHOOD FOOD DRIVES – Getting Started!
Organizing a food drive can be simple, easy and fun! With the provided materials, you can run a successful food drive with a minimum time commitment. Your drive will make a difference in the lives of low-income children and families across the greater Greensboro community!
Five steps to a successful food drive:
- Select the date to kick- off your drive and the final date for food collection in the neighborhood. Bofre the kick-off date, print a number of flyers from the sample in the kit (below), including the list of needed donations. The amount of flyers you print will be based upon the number of households you wish to include in the food drive, with one flyer per household. Set up volunteers and vehicles to help transport the food to the food pantry after the end of your drive. Food can be dropped off anytime Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 5:00pm. You do not need to call before delivery.
- Advertise! Before the kick-off date, print your flyers with the list of needed donations. Fill in the specific details of your neighborhood food drive. List your address as the location for food to be dropped off at anytime during the drive. Leave flyers at the front entrance of each house on the kick-off date.
- Set out donation boxes at the edge of your yard. Print out GUM’s Donation Box Label (included in the kit below) and attach it to a sturdy container that is a size you can lift when it becomes full of food. Place all collection boxes in an easily accessible area. Be sure to place the boxes or bins where people can clearly see them. Either replace the boxes or empty the boxes daily & store until delivery.
- Collect, collect, collect! On the end date of the food drive, collect food from your neighbors’ porches and add it to the food that has been dropped off during the week. The food pantry will weigh the total amount when the food is delivered.
- Express thanks. Consider circulating a note of thanks with the total amount your neighborhood raised so everyone can help in celebrating your success and impact.
FOOD DRIVE KIT – Download & Print